Wednesday, March 6, 2013

PiDGin Restaurant Vancouver

I really miss my friend Angie from well seasoned  but we are bolt so busy we do not have the time as before to meet as will after several attempt we finally find a Monday at 6 PM to have dinner in town
Angie is the Martha Stewart of the Valley and the best Cooking Shop/school in BC .
she is always ahead of everything interesting in the Food industry...
So when she ask me where I want to go I said Chez Jean-George  It is to snob for me but the food is so good, she propose this place she want to try  PiDGin
350 Carrall St Vancouver BC
604.620.9400
Mon-Sat 5-12
Sun 6:30-12


So I arrive  early as usual, I found a parking and walk the two block from Pender to carrall in the 2 block I witness two drug deal, 6 shopping cart 2 very angry screaming at I do not know what , a guy trying to sale me a bus pass... the usual right,  So as I am a bit early (5.30)  I really do not fell to comfortable in this neighborhood but it is still day light, I call angie she is on her way and tell me to get in she is early as well.
I get in, am the first client  I am pleasantly surprise how you forget in a snap the outside when your in the decor is eclectic, hybrid cap-code seafood restaurant of my youth with the white bar the kitchen is semi stadium and the place is new,  really new  I could not pinpoint (Oh it look like ! oh it fell like !)  just very nice a great research of simplicity in simplicity ( not easy to achieve) The service was impeccable without the snob service Nouveau rich Vancouver like ( Real housewife of Gucci trash... ) Angie arrive and we stat to talk as we are so happy to finally have some time together the server came 3 time to try to see if we are ready to order and then we get to the food business ( I understand  to be a Server sis an art and a noble profession some client want a friend for the evening some want a great service and some do not care  but a great professional understand the need of is clients and react in consequences and our server was just that good, he understand we where there to catch up on friendship and business so he interact with us perfectly)
So we order we take the server suggestion to start  fish and pig skin Asian style with a tomato sauce chutney I did not like it but Angie love it  we follow with 
Angie have a drink as well  as I never drink alcohol  I have no clue but it look nice with a shave cucumber wrap in the glass We add as special happy at $5.00 
fried chicken wings 12
market vegetables, spicy hollandaise 10
mushrooms, sugar snap peas, egg, soy yuzu brown butter 12
rice cakes, pork belly, tomato sauce, furikake 9



The dinner was good  the pork belly was very dry but it monday probably a leftover from the weekend.
The research is great  remember  I travel the world and was always involve in foods so it is very hard to impress me  but I am not a  A.H. (I could appreciated anything when it well done or with good intentions),  the  market Veggies as fantastic the hollandaise was perfect, the mushroom dish was great as well, the fried chicken perfect and so tasty, the pork belly outside of the dry pork the rest of the dish was great, but the best was the desert  
the meringue with yuzu and  the vanilla creme Anglaise was SO SO GOOD No Really the best I ever had 
This is a place I will return  this is a big + for Vancouver and for this neighborhood 
I take some pictures of the dish from my smart phone  but I am not a smart men and have no clue how to download them so I will add the pic from PiDGin restaurant 
I hope they will keep the creativity and a change of menu true season and I will be back 
I really enjoy the decor , the staff where wonderful  the food great ,  the price very reasonable, you really forget about the street as soon as you are in it is  remarkable  the washroom have those mini sink and those marble pieces on the wall great research great place.  Oh yeah No coffee or tea nothing hot to drink ?

Pic from PiDGin Website

No comments: