Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oru Dinning at the Pacific Rim Fairmont Hotel Vancouver

Every year after Circle Craft I invited my Family and friend who have help me to a good Dinner where price is no object, it is hard even in big city to fine a great restaurant late on a Sunday or Monday Night
I start this tradition years ago  where we go to the Pan Pacific hotel or at the 5 sails from the same hotel.
I remember the first time we try to go to the 5 sails it was just to late on a Sunday night to be served or there was a private function, we enjoy the little bar where they served a very decent meal, When we finally where in time for the last service at the 5 sails we where very happy and the food and service where wonderful, the second year we did go and it was horrible so we switch the following year to Oru at the Pacific Rim Fairmont Hotel Sunday night always a challenge for those big hotel, but there was a seafood buffet  very nice my family really like it so I decide to please them again this year at the same place after Circle Craft Show last Sunday,  so the 3 of us  get to Oru. When we get there, there was a function in the foyer of the restaurant but Oru was open for business, we get to our table, the service was impeccable, Everyone run like there was a million clients, As I was so relax after my own show at Circle Craft I was just happy to be sitting down, not in a rush at all  & in a very good mood,  the show from the Kitchen stadium was impressive, working as a well oil machine preparing all the dishes in a perfect rhythm, We received our first appetizers

We order

natural pastures buffalo mozzarella caprese | 16

village farms tomatoes, watercress, tomato and cracked pepper jam, basil purée

Not bad the Tomatoes and pepper jelly was the most memorable taste, like fresh tomatoes water in agar or liquid pectin
I do not remember the basil puree but deep fry basil leafs  it was OK, not spectacular


yarrow meadows duck and rabbit terrine | 14

Lostock Farms Rabbit, heirloom radish salad, house-made mustard and pickled mustard seeds

Two little dry triangle of terrine  with some mustard seeds bloom in Vinegar Nothing spectacular 


for our main courses we chose


James had

12 oz angus reserve striploin | 38

&

chimichurri mashed potatoes | 6


Well I am very surprise to see a restaurant of this level not to have a sous vide station 
the meat was order medium rare and it was so caramelize and the center have no degree of coloration  it was very strange  as James removed all the side of it piece as it was so hard and burn 
the Potato with chimichurri was exceptional





Julisa had 

lobster and angus reserve short rib | 45

whole lobster with chili lime butter, braised short rib, roasted root vegetables, chimichurri whipped potatoes

The lobster was OK  but the braised short rib was horrible dry and look like a left over for the day before as we where all very disappointed  we where quiet thinking we have to find a new place for Next year

I had

thiessen "blue foot" chicken fricassée | 28

pan roasted chicken breast, chorizo jus, pearl onion, sweet pea, crispy fingerling potato

Well I do not know how you could dry out a chicken leg like this but they did


The server ask me if I was done with my meal and how it was   I respond it was OK Thank-you 
then he reply just OK was it something wrong with your dish  I respond  the chicken was very dry , but it find it OK 
I was so tired I just want to go back to the Hall and finish wrapping my 2 pallet to go back to my factory. 
The Server was genuine if apologies  I told him do not worried it find, he insisted in offering complimentary desert 
I refused I repeat we are fine, everything is fine, do not worried about it , 
I just ask the bill as I just want to leave 
When the bill arrived he removed my dish from the bill ( It was very nice but not necessary as I have eat my dish) 
I leave a very good tip as the service was not the problem 
I do not Understand how a restaurant of this caliber could miss out on such basic cuisine dishes, it like there is no chef 
or sous chef to tastes what is coming out of the kitchen.
So disappointing, it is not the money is the lack of seriousness in a good cuisine.
My family ask me to go to a Chinese restaurant next time.
I am very sorry to write this critic but it was so, so bad.

  



2 comments:

Brad & Bobbi said...

We find this often at the big hotels when there is a private event, so like you my office now goes to smaller restaurants NOT connected to the big hotels. They seem to be more concerned with their large party catering than their restaurants.

Jean Pierre, Maison Cote said...

You are absolutly right this is what we will do sarting now
Thank-you