Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Very dark time for food Artisans

As food Artisans in BC we are often view as the left over, to filed empty spots, there is little or no respect for our profession, in the last 8 days  I received two bad news, one of the crafts show, for Canadian artisans let me know, as we are not considering as real artisan what do you thing if we charge you more as you generated more money ( Really) then a true Artisan ( Ceramist, Painter, Bronze...) and thinking about the possibility to charge us more so they could sponsor more of the real Artisan and what would you think if we make a lottery for the food peoples so we could have a better diversification of you guys or maybe you could come every second year?

This is not a secret for any food Artisan as we are always treated in demeanor way, some more explicit, some more subtle but always with a bit of a condescending attitude.  So there is Farmers market where it is all about Foods, Farmer's and local food creators, Well time are changing as well as we are considerate as well as the bottom of the barrel, just a bit higher then jewelry and soap maker, I received my date for this Season and I received less then half of what I was asking, and I was not asking more then Usually, You think with all those market opening everywhere  this will be a place for creative food Artisan but there as well we are push aside, Even the only store with a mandate to support local food artisan had no problem stopping purchasing my products after 5 year and creating his own brand with a very similar creation as my own under one of my best (trade mark) salt and flooding the market with wholesale true BC and beyond.

It is very hard to try to sustain a living with all the rules and fee associated to making foods ( I do understand that with no problem) we talk $35,000 for a rent in the appropriated City zoning, $700.00 per year for (Vancouver) Business License of the Municipality you operated + you have to respond to Provincial & Federal rules, the cost of basic raw supply have gone up so bad, 465% in Pepper alone in the last couples years, insurance, machinery's ... I do need to sale $200,000 before be able to turn a profit, so we need place to showcase our work if not we are doom to sale to big American chain store, make volume and compromise on quality to achieved the target price they need...

I do not want to complaint as I really love my work & I do not do it for the money ( do not get me wrong I make a living), I am just very lucky to be great at what I do, to have a fantastic follow up for the last 21 years, to be view by more the 20,000 person world wild on my blog.
I am so very thankful & grateful.

 Granville Island (day Vendor program) was a savior for my Company as I could not do the Outside winter Farmer market ( My products could not stand the Humidity of a Vancouver Winter)
so I am at a cross road, should I open my own little store? should I invest in heavy in machinery and served the wholesale side of the business, or to created a guild of BC food Artisans and make our own event...

This is not an easy choice as I do not care about wholesale,  opening a permanent location could be the one I will enjoy the most.

I will let you know
Thank-You so much for all your continuous support true the years


Jean-Pierre Cote Vancouver Food Artisan

No comments: